Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Value of an Opinion


A opinion is defined as - "a personal belief or judgement that is not founded on proof or certainty."


A second definition would be - "a message expressing a belief about something; the expression of a belief that is held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof."




I express my opinion on things often, perhaps more often then I should but needless to say I do! And it never ceases to amaze me at how people react to it - how bent out of shape they get over the way I see something or feel about it. I guess perhaps I should be flattered that my opinion means that much to them! Because as the definition above states, it's simple a belief, it's not a fact. So just because I think of something in a certain way doesn't mean that's the way it is. I understand that! I know that other people have opinions on things that I don't agree with, unless it's a question of faith or morality I do my best to let it be. I can't say some peoples opinions don't upset me, usually they upset me because it's someone I respect or look up to that has disagreed with me on some level. But ultimately it's simply an opinion and nothing for me to get totally upset about. I saw this quote this morning and thought it summed up a lot.

"I have often wondered how it is that every man loves himself more then all the rest of men, but yet sets less value on his own opinions of himself than on the opinions of others." - Marcus Aurelius

And how very true it is, even if we don't think that about ourselves seeing someone say it can make us doubt. But why should it? If we truly believe in who we are and we truly believe that what we are doing is right then why is the world should someone's opinion matter that much to us?

And do not pride yourself on not speaking your mind as well, because in that very thought you are setting a higher opinion of yourself then everyone else. Believing that because others are confident enough to just say what they are thinking and you don't that it makes you the better person. That in itself is simply opinion.

Because in the end just because it is spoken doesn't make it blessed fact. And aren't you glad of that? My opinions are not all founded truths, they are simply the way I see and view the world and what goes on in it. I guess I should be very flattered that people find my opinion so unnerving and swaying in life. But I would rathe they just be confident enough in what they are doing that what other people say doesn't matter. Am I there yet? No way. I struggle with people's opinions a lot, mainly because I find some truth in them and the truth is never easy to swallow. I have not found full confidence in myself yet, I am working towards it but there are still a few people in my life who's opinions far out weigh mine. Should it be that way? I don't really know but that's the way it is. But for the most part, when people say things that I know are facts then I let them go unless I find a shred of truthfulness in it. I have often said that people give themselves and their guilts away by getting upset about things that people post or say even when it's not directed at them! If I put up on my FB that I dislike liars and someone gets bent out of shape and asks me if I'm calling them a liar then I naturally assume that they have a guilty conscience when it comes to lying. Same with any other subject, if I post something and people get upset about it then I start thinking it's something they have already thought about, feel or know to be true in their own hearts. Simply put other's opinions have the power to bring the actual truth to the surface when you try hard to bury it, whether that opinion is fact or not the reason it upsets someone is because there are veins of truth hidden inside it.


"It doesn't matter if you think I'm clever or otherwise, my opinions are still the same and equally valid." - Thomas Harrison

No comments:

Post a Comment