Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Summing up my day.....



Today has been, well, a not so great day to put it mildly. Beej woke me up before he headed out the door to let me know that the water wasn't working. We automatically assumed the pipes must have frozen during the night because it got down to like 14 degrees last night. So I called my dad who walked us through a couple of things and we thought perhaps it wasn't the pipes but maybe the well pump that is housed in our outdoor shed. Usually they hook up a small space heater to keep it from freezing. So after a couple of hours of the space heater running out there the water came back on, but the pressure was a little poor. But I was glad because I thought that meant the pipes were fine. But I kept hearing this "roaring" noise in the bathroom, sounded like it was behind the shower. I went outside but couldn't hear anything. I called my dad after I realized there was NO hot water - if I turned it to "cold" on any of the faucets water came out, but if I turned it to "hot" nothing came out, at all. So I thought something was wrong with the hot water heater. After speaking with my dad, because I couldn't locate the hot water heater, I found it outside UNDER THE HOUSE! Who puts the hot water heater under their house? I have never in my life seen anything like it. So I opened up the little door that leads into the deep crawl space under the house and HOLY WOW! Water everywhere.....my first assessment looked like maybe 8-10 in. of water all under the house. After some calling around between my husband, dad and father-in-law I got in touch with a plumber and he came out to take a look. With his flashlight I could see that the water was actually about 2 feet deep under the house! I have no idea where it's all coming from - we couldn't see or hear a leak. So he has to come back tomorrow and bring a pump to pump out a good bit of the water before he can even get under there to figure out what's going on. But for now we have no water. They had to cut off the water to keep it from continuing to pour under the house. We can't wash dishes, we can't flush the toilets, we can't take showers and the list goes on and on.....We went over to Beej's parents to take showers and clean up tonight. They were kind enough to buy us yummy pizza for dinner while we were there. I dread tomorrow and dealing with the plumber but it's part of life. I hate this happened, now, to us. All the years my parents lived here and the pipes had to wait and bust once we moved in. Grrrrr. Hopefully this will all be resolved by tomorrow evening.....

I went to pick up our Christmas cards today - we ordered them online but had them shipped to the store and of course, they weren't there yet. She said they might be in the afternoon shipment. *sigh* Yep, of course.....

So to say the least I didn't get much done today. It was a very unproductive day. I returned a couple of books to the library and didn't have any in mind that I wanted to get. I have thought about starting The Vampire Diaries series but I'm not sure I want to read them or not. But as I was glancing around I noticed a stack of Ted Dekker books - I had heard that his book Thr3e was really good so I picked it up. And then was browsing through the Young Adult section and notice Stephenie Meyer's The Host on the shelf. I've been meaning to read it but forget about it. So I started it today - very unique, such a interesting idea! Nothing at all like the Twilight series, which is a good, I wouldn't want her to write the same story over and over. But this feels like a completely different writer. I'm eager to continuing reading it!

But that sums up my day! Nothing special......

2 comments:

  1. Praying that the plumber can come back and get all that he needs to accomplished....sorry ya'll have to go through the no-water thing! SO not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you've had a bad day! I hate when everything seems to go wrong at once. Hope the water situation get fixed VERY soon.

    Hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete