Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Dance, baby!

"The next time you look into the mirror, just look at the way the ears rest next to the head; look at the way the hairline grows; think of all the little bones in your wrist. It is a miracle. And the dance is a celebration of that miracle." - Martha Graham

"Dance is the hidden language of the soul."

I've always wanted to dance. As a child I twirled and danced on my tip toes dreaming about being a ballerina. I would watch old Shirley Temple movies and watch her tap dance across piano tops and I was in love. As a teen it was all about choreographed boy band dancing but dancing none the less. Even to this day I watch shows like So You Think You Can Dance and I'm just mesmerized.

I do not want to push my interests or desires on my daughter. I want her to find her own interests and passions. I have never pushed her to like dance but I think it's almost natural for most little girls to love it - the grace, the flow, the beauty, the costumes, the music, the excitement. I have told Gianna over and over that if she doesn't want to do dance anymore all she has to do is tell me. But for now I am so happy that she loves it!

I've already said it but I love her new studio! The teacher is on top of everything and so professional. She is great with keeping class entertaining but actually teaching the kids something at the same time. Gianna is already working on the barre and my heart absolutely swells with pride seeing her sweet little plies and pointing her toes!

Yesterday we had a parent meeting after class and discussed the upcoming events - for starters Gianna's class, the Twinkling Stars, are going to be in two Christmas parades! I find it amusing that they are wearing black and hot pink for the Christmas parades but I'm still so thrilled. I'm on the hunt for the perfect hot pink tutu right now even though she won't need it till the end of November.

Her first recital won't be until the end of the dance "year" which is Sept.- May then they take the summer off like school but with optional dance clinics that she can participate in. They haven't picked a recital costume yet but I've already been looking at some and these little costumes are to die for! Gianna is going to be in heaven! My aunt's little girl who is a month older then Gianna took dance for a while but has moved on to gymnastics so she's sending Gianna some of her dance wear and I'm so excited to get it. It'll be like Christmas for me and Gi!

One thing I've noticed though is that I'm one of very few young moms there. Most of the moms are like my mom's age and have two or three kids in dance. They huddle in a odd group in the corner with way too much make up on and cramped looks on their faces while the rest of us pretend to read books while we eye them in a curious way.....I'm happy that Gianna's teacher is a young and actually looks like she still dances.

But as you can tell, I'm so happy to have a sweet little girl who is all about tutus and ballet!


3 comments:

  1. how fun! i cant wait till i can start Braylee in dance! she already loves to dance and is so animated in her facial expressions lol. im PRAYING she wont want to do cheer but ill support her in anything she wants to do haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! I'm actually dying for Gianna to want to do cheer! She's already talking about it but she's just seen college cheerleaders. But I'm hoping she'll want to in middle school! But we love dance, the money kinda freaks me out a little but so far it hasn't been too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to come watch her. Make sure you get us dates on the parades and recitals!

    ReplyDelete