Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Sick again.




Gianna is sick again. It started suddenly Monday. She woke up and seemed fine, she started acting tired around lunch time so I laid down for a nap with her. When she woke up a couple of hours later she was burning up and complaining about her tummy hurting. I took her temp. and she was at 101.3 so I gave her some Tylenol and she seemed to perk up and we spent the evening out with my parents. After we got home she was hot again so I gave her some more Tylenol and put her to bed. She was up and down all night crying about her tummy hurting. We didn't get a lot of sleep last night. My heart just aches to see her in so much pain and feeling so bad. This morning I called the Pedi. first thing and got scheduled to come in around 11am. I'm ready to get it over with. I told Gianna we were going and she whined a little but I think she feels so bad right now that she's ready to go to the dr. just to feel better. As much as I don't like her having to have shots I am going to try and talk them into giving her a shot of IV antibiotic. They did that last time and it started working much quicker then oral antibiotics. But she'll have to be on an oral for about 10 days to clear out the infection. After that we are going to start her on a daily, low dose antibiotic to hopefully prevent any more infections. If she does have another one we'll probably go ahead with the procedure to make her tubes smaller. It's non surgical, although she will be put under for it. I hope it won't come to that but at the same time she can't keep getting these severe infections because it can cause scarring on her kidneys.

_____________________________________________________________________
Went to the dr. yesterday and she does indeed have yet another kidney infection. She was running a pretty high fever again too. They gave me a prescription and sent me on my way. Took a while to get it filled. But she seemed to be doing better. So we went to Mom and dad's for a couple of hours and she pretty much slept the whole time. Towards the evening though she started going down hill again....I went back over to Dad's to eat dinner and watch a movie and Beej volunteered to give me a break and stay home with Gianna. But she started throwing up and couldn't keep her medicine down so I headed home to help out. The dr. prescribed anti vomiting suppositories which of course have to be given rectally. It's possibly one of the worst and hardest things I have to do as a mom - Gianna just screams and cries. But the one I gave her last night seemed to help for a little while. she was able to keep her medicine down and eat a little apple sauce. Not enough to do anything really but I felt better. We went to bed and she woke up about 5 hours later and threw everything up again. This morning she's running a fever of 103.3 and is so weak she is shaking. I gave her another suppository before I try giving her the medicine. If she can't keep it down or can't get any food down I'm taking her back to the dr. so that they can give her a shot of the IV drug and hopefully kick start her getting well. I hate seeing her feel so bad and miserable...it breaks my heart.
I got her prescription filled for her daily low dose antibiotic yesterday too - we were going to start that once she got over this infection but I'm seriously thinking about just going ahead and doing the procedure they suggested. I don't want to risk her having yet another infection.

____________________________________________________________________

So I took her into the dr. yesterday and they were concerned that she had lost almost 1/2 lb. since the day before. And they were concerned that she couldn't eve hold down liquids. They don't usually worry about her not eating but not drinking is a whole different story. So they told me they wanted me to take her up to the hospital and let them run an IV and give her fluids and an IV drug to kick start her getting well. I was kinda nervous about the IV but at the same time I knew she was really sick and needed some serious help. So we headed up there and she seemed to be feeling a little better by the time we got up there, but that's normal, she usually perks up for a couple of hours late morning and then crashes again. We had to wait about hour before they got us completely registered and taken back. They had said they were going to put her in a bed but instead they took us to the Pediatric Recovery room - it was a large room with toys and chairs, bathroom and TV and it was empty! Three nurses came in to put her IV in. I was nervous, I know how much she hates needles and this wasn't just going to be a prick and then done. I know sometimes they have to "search" for a vein and have to do it two or three times but I was praying so hard that it would go quickly. And it did! She screamed but they popped it in first try! They wrapped it up really well so she couldn't move her hand around.....she slept for a while after that. She was thirsty but twice she drank apple juice and threw it back up. So the nurse gave her some Phenergan - a anti nausea medicine and that seemed to work so she could hold down some fluids on her own. We ended up being hooked up to the IV for 6 straight hours. I didn't realize it was going to take that long but I think it's what she needed for sure. The nurses just loved her, kept saying what a sweet girl she was and they were all so shocked at how "still" she was for the IV. After a few hours she actually got up and played a little but that wore her out and she slept the last hour and a half of it all. She still refuses to let me remove her bandage from the IV this morning! But other then that she seems so much better this morning and I'm so glad!
We have the medicine for her to start daily after this infection is completely cleared up - we are going to try it for awhile and see how it goes. After that if she has another infection or even has signs of another one we are going to opt to have the procedure done to make her tubes smaller....I don't want to see her that sick, weak and frail again.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I know your heart must have been breaking. I hate that almost helpless feeling you get as a mom when your little one is going threw something you can't just zip in and take away.

    Hope she's doing much better today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be praying for her and you as you watch her go through this! It must be horrible having to go through this more than once. My little brother was hospitalized several times with stomach problems (different from hers though) and soon the doctors where able to find out what was wrong and it hasn't happened since.

    Blessings,
    Maggie
    www.foreverfindingmybliss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete