Saturday, May 8, 2010

Another Mother's Day


So another Mother's Day is upon us. For me I often forget that Mother's Day applies to me now! For me it's still a day for my mother and it's also "birthday season". My grandfather, brothers and mom all have birthdays within a week of each other and one of them usually falls on Mother's Day. This year it's my grandfather, last year it was my brothers. So there is always a lot going on. Lots of gifts to buy and we usually meet up for lunch somewhere. This year we are skipping church and going to meet my parents in Asheville, where they are currently spending the weekend. I'm excited that all my siblings are going and of course my hubby and baby girl too. I usually get something a little more "practical" for Mother's Day - like this year it was a hair cut and some time out which I needed both of those desperately! Beej and I usually do something small for each other on Mother and Father's Day. We never go overboard - one day if Gianna chooses to do stuff for us then that's up to her but it kinda seems pointless for us to give each other stuff - it's not Valentine's Day or anything! Lol! That's just how we see it. I usually get my Mom something of course. She helps me out a lot and I appreciate it all so much. Especially all their tireless help with Gianna!
Like I said, sometimes I forget I'm a mom now. I don't "feel" like a mom most of the time. That doesn't mean I don't love my child! I'm just saying I don't feel old enough or smart enough, etc. Some days I feel more like Gianna is my little sister or just my little buddy. And I hope that feeling continues as she gets older. She is so adorable and I love her so so much.....she is getting so big now. She is so opinionated and independent. Sometimes that gets on my nerves a little bit but for the most part I love seeing her individuality shining through. I love seeing what she gets " into" or thinks is cool. She still loves little girl things of course but she's started saying things like "Justin Bieber is cute!" Lol! She told me she likes his hair! Things like that make me laugh - unlike a lot of mother's I can't wait til Gianna starts liking boys and things like that. I think it'll be fun!!! I think young "love" is so sweet and cute.

A Sonnet for My Mother

I often contemplate my childhood, Mom.
I am a mother now, and so I know
Hard work is mixed together with the fun;
You learned that when you raised me long ago.
I think of all the things you gave to me:
Sacrifice, devotion, love and tears,
Your heart, your mind, your energy and soul--
All these you spent on me throughout the years.
You loved me with a never-failing love
You gave me strength and sweet security,
And then you did the hardest thing of all:
You let me separate and set me free.
Every day, I try my best to be
A mother like the mom you were to me.
By Joanna Fuchs

So Happy Mother's day to all of you who are mother's. We may not all do thing same things or think the same way. We may all love our children in different ways but what it all comes down to is that day after day we do our best to raise them and love them to the best of our abilities. Thank God that we had mother's we cared about us and took the time to teach us. Hopefully one day Gianna will look back and say "I had such an incredible mom!" Not to toot my own horn but so that we can have a relationship that is closer then anything......I hope I can be an advice giver, a hand holder, a heart mender, a gift buyer, a laughing joker, a carefree friend and a quiet peace maker to my daughter as she grows up so that one day, if she decides to have children, that she has an amazing example to follow and can be above and beyond what I was as a mom to her!

No comments:

Post a Comment