Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Inkling.

I never ever dreamed I'd actually get inked. Growing up tattoos were kinda put into the same group as heavy drinking, smoking, and drugs. You know, things you don't do. My father is a former drug addict, he was saved in his early twenties and has spent his life since then serving in the ministry. My mother was brought up in a very strict religious home and her parents were in the ministry (they actually ran the program for drug addicts that my dad went through to get clean. That's where he met my mom.). So I can understand that for both of them tattoos have a bad reputation. Back in "the day" (whatever that means!) tattoos were usually gotten by drug addicts and bikers. But things have changed and it seems like just about "everyone" has a tattoo of some sort. It's a way of expressing yourself and putting things in your memory forever. Things you don't want to forget or things that changed your life. 

I know that a lot of "Christians" have issues with tattoos. But generally I think it's the Christians who are still steeped in a religious spirit. I believe that there are things that God has set down pretty black and white in the Bible. There are things that are right and there are things that are wrong. But then there are things that I believe are simply up to your discretion and what you believe between you and God is right. For instance, there are Christians who believe women wearing pants is wrong. The Bible doesn't say that, it's simply what they believe honors God for them. I don't have a problem if you think certain things are wrong for you or your family but I do have a problem when people push those "beliefs" on others. Or they believe others are sinners or "bad people" because they don't believe the same way.

Most Christians who are against tattoos or body piercing use the scripture in 1 Cor. 6:19 that says "Do you not know that your bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought with a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies." I don't see tattoos are desecrating your body or not honoring it. In my mind it's like decorating the temple. God had the people go all out when it came to decorating the temples - tapestries, gold, jewels, etc. And that's exactly how I feel when it comes to tattoos and piercings. I'm not a huge piercings fan but I do have my ears done twice and my nose. And I see nothing wrong with that and to be honest I'll have no problem with my daughter having piercings or even getting a tattoo. I'll be the first to sign the consent form and take her. My point is this, I think there are other things "poisoning" our bodies that God would have a much harder time with than tattoos or piercings like over eating, laziness, bitterness, and a judgmental spirit. To me those things are desecrating your body/temple FAR more than a little ink. Don't get me wrong, if you're getting nasty things tatted on your body God probably won't be pleased but not because you got inked but because you're celebrating something He has deemed wrong! Lol! 

Each of my tattoos has meaning behind it and these probably won't be my last. I like tattoos, I think they can be beautiful and a great expression of who you are. When I see someone with tattoos I like to look at them, I wonder what they mean to that person, the story behind them. Nothing makes me happier than when someone asks me about my tats and I can tell them the story behind them! Instead of judging you can get to know someone!

And yes, people say "what about when you're old...." and my reply is "Good grief, once you're old you pretty much don't care anymore!" Lol! I mean seriously, old people don't seem to really care much and most of the time they are so covered in clothing you'd never know they had them anyway. I'm not going to not do things now because I'll be old one day. How boring would life be then?!



This is my newest tattoo and I love it, as I do all my tats. You can read the story behind it HERE. But the short of it is everyone wants to know if someone really loves them. I've been privileged enough to know true love!


This is the best photo I could find of my owl. His name is Willard. Lol! Owl's represent wisdom and it's on my foot because I hope that in everything I do and everywhere I go I walk in wisdom.


This is the before and after of the heart on my left wrist. I originally had it done not long after mine and B's 2 year anniversary. I felt like the second year was the hardest for us and I wanted to remember and represent the love I felt had brought us through some seriously hard time. It was done badly by the artist and looked extremely faded right after it healed so I had it re designed and inked a few months ago and I love it now!


The star on my right foot was the first tattoo I got. I just got the star at the time and it done for my daughter. She was my little star and she had been the shining thing that had brought me through a rough year. I later had the "swirls" added right after I started working out and getting fit(ter). It represents being a woman, being feminine and a reminder to not forget myself.


I have the outline of a closed eye on my back shoulder. Funny enough this is my least favorite tattoo, it wasn't done well (research your artists, people, don't go cheap!!!) and I just don't love it. I don't hate it, and I don't really regret it - I just don't love it. And it's the one tattoo of mine that my hubby has told me several times he loves! Lol! I do plan to cover it at some point. I have a larger piece I want to get there and since it's so faded it will be easy to cover. But originally I got it as a reminder to walk by faith and not by sight. During that time I felt like I was blindly groping my way through life and I felt like one day God just stilled my heart and told me it wasn't about seeing, it was about believing and walking in faith, knowing that He would guide me and bring me through.

So put simply, don't judge people with tattoos - if you ask them there is probably a lot of meaning behind them. Putting them down is like putting down that person's history, love, memories & stories. And just because you don't find them beautiful doesn't mean someone else doesn't! I do plan to get more and I'm still begging my hubby to get some - I can't honestly say I think he'll ever actually do it but I can keep wishing, right?!!! I think well done tats on a fit, hot guy (like my hubs!) is totally hot!!!


4 comments:

  1. obviously i have nothing against tattoos, having them myself. but there is this verse (this is the one my mom throws in my face:)

    "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD." leviticus 19:28

    again, this is in the old testament, which i deem as history, where as the new testament is law. but like i said, i get that verse shoved in my face a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can honestly say I have NEVER heard that scripture, Deanna! But I agree, that is Old Testament and it was under the law, not under the Grace of God. I also think a lot of that had to do with the worship of the dead, making tributes to them in hopes that they would help you. I had someone who told me that because I watched Harry Potter and Twilight that I was into witch craft and sent me a scripture that stated that " a curse of death would be on me and my family" because of it. But the scripture had to do with people who were practicing actual witch craft and sacrificing their children to the dead. I guess if God does have a problem with it I'll find out when I'm dead! Lol! But I'm pretty sure that God has a bigger issue with the hatred and judgement that people have towards people with tattoos rather than the tattoos themselves.

      Delete
  2. oooh, i love the owl! my favorite!!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete